Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan’s driver was summoned by the Bureau of Narcotics Control or NCB on Saturday over the anti-drug raid on a cruise ship last week that has led to the arrest of 18 people including Aryan, the A-lister’s son.
The NCB recorded the statement of the driver who drove Aryan and his friends to the cruise ship heading for Goa from Mumbai.
Aryan Khan was arrested last Saturday night after the central agency raided the ship off Mumbai and said it had found narcotics. His last bail application, based on the argument that no drugs were found on him, was rejected by a Mumbai court on Friday.
Mumbai magistrates’ court on Friday said Mr Khan’s bail plea was “not sustainable”, agreeing with the Office of Narcotics Management that a Sessions Court had to hear the matter since the seizure of drugs.
The court also dismissed pleas from two other accused – Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamechat.
Arguing against his bail, the NCB said the release of Aryan Khan could damage the case. The agency claimed it could interfere with evidence and influence witnesses. He also demanded that Aryan Khan and the others be regular “contraband users”.
Aryan Khan must also be confronted with others arrested, the agency added, referring to Achit Kumar; Mr Kumar was arrested, the NCB claimed, on the basis of Mr Khan’s statement.
Aryan Khan’s lawyer Satish Maneshinde, however, argued, “Not a single material to expose any conspiracy committing … no material found on me or in my bag … where is the material to prosecute? i. have been left in my possession of anything with which I cannot be trucked (another accused). “
Several high-profile Indian actors and television personalities have been under scrutiny by narcotics officials since last year following the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. In September 2020, several top female actors were questioned by the NCB, though it was unclear how the investigation proceeded.